Tuesday, February 06, 2007

100mbps Internet?

source: http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=37835

According to CBC news, we Canadians will soon have access to 100 mbps internet... And I thought 5 mbps back at home in Toronto was fast.. Well that's only because I'm being deprived in Ottawa right now. First, we had Rogers cable..... which was advertised at up to 6mbps, but I never bothered testing the connection to see what we could REALLY get because Rogers blocks bit torrent traffic and on top of that, the ping times were so horrible, calling home and my gf with Skype was so difficult. Then we decided to switch to DSL. YES!!! Great speeds, low ping times.. but then.. we the connection kept going out and I couldn't figure out why.. did I miss a filter in the house? It turns out that we were too far from the DSLAM so Primus had to throttle us down to 1 mbps downstream in order to have a stable connection that won't keep disconnecting when I download or upload too fast...... great... Oh well, I'll just have to be more patient. I've already set my router to prioritize things like Skype, youtube, Xbox Live and web browsing to the high priority so it's only my bulk downloads that suffer.

Well, whenever faster internet is available, I'll be willing to pay as long as it's not ridiculously priced and there are no caps. What's the point of getting faster internet if they encourage you to hit a brick wall?

No comments: